Who We Are — Mission and Vision
HighScope Educational Research Foundation is an independent nonprofit research, development, training, and public outreach organization with headquarters in Ypsilanti, Michigan. HighScope’s mission is to lift lives through education. We envision a world in which all educational settings use active participatory learning so everyone has a chance to succeed in life and contribute to society.
HighScope is committed to promoting high-quality early education for children and youth worldwide. To achieve this goal, HighScope engages in the following activities, supporting educators and parents as they help children learn:
- Develops early childhood curriculum components for
- Infant-toddler care and education
- Preschool education
- Early literacy
- Movement and music
- Elementary education
- Offers research-validated assessment tools, including instruments for both child assessment and program assessment
- Provides training for preschool and elementary teachers and administrators
- Publishes curriculum materials, books, and videos
- Presents an annual International HighScope Conference for teachers and teacher-trainers
- Operates a Demonstration Preschool in Ypsilanti, Michigan, which serves children in the local community and provides a model of “HighScope in action” for visiting educators
HighScope and Child Assessment
HighScope teachers regularly record notes, or anecdotes, on children’s behaviors, experiences, and interests. They use these notes to assess each child’s development using COR Advantage. Based on these careful observations, teachers can plan activities that will facilitate children’s growth and development. They also use these notes in parent meetings to help parents better understand their children’s development.
Visit our website at highscope.org for more information.